1.1What is an operating system? What are the functions of the operating system?
1.2 Describe the users view of the operating system.
1.3 Name two devices that are used as input devices only. Name two devices that are used as output devices only. Name at least one device that can be used as an input as well as output device.
1.4 Explain the difference between multi-programming and time sharing.
1.5 When do we say a system is “multi-programming”? When do we say it is an “online” system?
2.1 Give an example of an operational environment when the system would have to be both multi-programming and on-line system.
2.2 Explain the difference between platform and environment.
2.3 What are some of the options available in UNIX command ps? Give description of at least two options.
1. The term operating system means
1. A set of program which control computer working
2. The way a computer operates works
3. Conversion of high level language into machine code
4. The way a floppy disk drive operates
2. Multiprogramming was made possible by
1. i/o units that operate independently of the CPU
2. operating system
3. both (a) and (b)
4. neither (a) nor (b)
3. Two basic type of operating system are:
1. Sequential and direct
2. Batch and time sharing
3. Sequential and real time
4. None of the above
4. Remote computing services involve the use of timesharing and
2. Interactive processing
3. Batch processing
4. Real time processing
5. Which of the following is not a part of operating system?
2. Performance monitor
3. job-control program
4. i/o control program
6. In which addressing mode, the effective address of the operand is generated by adding a constant value to the contents of register?
1. Absolute mode
2. Indirect mode
3. Immediate mode
4. Index mode
7. Moving process from main memory to disk is called
8. Producer consumer problem can be solved using
2. Event counters
4. All the above
9. Operating system is
1. A collection of hardware components
2. A collection of i/o devices
3. A collection of software routine
4. All the above
10. Which of the following is a type of system software used on microcomputer?
4. All of the above
11. What is the operating system used by Macintosh computers?
1. system 7.0
4. Either(a) or (b)
12. What does the “X” stand for in OS X?
13. The longest method of conversion
14. A channel for communication across a boundary between two or more subsystems is known as
3. walk through
4. data path
15. DOS was the first widely-installed operating system for personal computers. What does DOS stand for?
1. Digital Operating System
2. Disk Operating System
3. Desktop Operating System
4. It’s an abbreviation of the word “doors.”
16 Which of the following represents processor activities, methods and procedures in a data flow diagram?
3. feed back
4. none of the above
17. A statement by statement description of a procedure is detailed in a
1. written narrative
2. procedure log
3. record layout
4. systems flowcharts
18. What year was the first version of Windows introduced?
19. The operating system, along with its coordinating program, and the hardware that performs logic operations and manages data movement all combine to make up the ______________. What is it?
20 The operating system of a computer serves as a software interface between the user and
21 Which of the following is not a control statement?
1. SELECT CASE
2. single-alternative block IF
3. double-alternative block IF
22_______ statements allow the programmer to change the flow of program execution.
23. The primary job of operating system of a computer is to
1. Command resources
2. Manage resources
3. Provide utilities
4. Be user friendly
24 A _______ displays a list of program functions from which the user can choose one.
1. collating sequence
2. Boolean operator
4. relational operator
25 Which is a permanent database in a general model of compiler?
1. Literal Table
2. Identifier Table
3. Terminal Table
4. Source code
26The functions(s) of scheduler is (are)
1. It selects which ready process is to be run next
2. It specifies the time slice
3. It waiting for an event to occur before continuing execution
4. both (a) and (b)
27 What is the name given to the process of initializing a microcomputer with its operating system?
1. Cold booting
3. warm booting
4. Boot recording
28 What is the name given to the organized collection of software that controls the overall operations of a computer?
1. Working system
3. Operating system
4. Controlling system
29. What is the name of the operating system that reads in terms of actual time?
1. Batch system
2. Quick response system
3. Real time system
4. Time sharing system
30 What is the name given to the software which can be legally compiled and often used for free
1. Shareware program
2. Public domain program
3. Firmware program
1. a part of an operating system
2. a single contiguous memory used for running long prg by swapping
3. overloading the system with many user files
4. a single memory location
32. The only state transition initiated by user process itself is
33. Which scheduling algorithm gives minimum average waiting time?
3. Round Robin
34. Page fault occurs when
1. the page is not in main memory
2. the page is in main memory
3. the page is corrupted by application software
4. we try to divide a number by zero
35. Which of these is real time system?
1. payroll processing
2. aircraft control
4. automobile system
36. Semaphores are used to solve
1. process synchronization
2. race condition
3. parallel execution
4. none of above
37. Which of these is single user OS?
1. MS DOS
38. Dirty bit is used to show
1. page with corrupted data
2. wrong page in memory
3. page modified after being loaded in cache memory
4. page that is less frequently accessed
39. The size of virtual memory depends on
1. size of address bus
2. size of main memory
3. size of data bus
4. none of above
40. Which of these calls never returns an error?