1) Identify the five components of a data communication system.
2) What are the various popular communication tools?
3) What is the difference between local and remote log-in in TELNET?
4) Explain why ftp does not have a message format?
1) The following is a dump of a TCP header in hexadecimal format. 05320017 00000001 00000000 500207FF 00000000
a) What is the source port number?
b) What is the destination port number?
c) What is the sequence number?
d) What is the acknowledgment number?
e) What is the length of the header?
f) What is the type of the segment?
g) What is the window size?
1) Explain why most of the addresses in class A are wasted. Explain why a medium size or large-size corporation does not want a block of class C addresses.
2) How many multicast addresses can be supported for the IPv4 protocol in Ethernet. How many multicast addresses can be supported for the IPv4 protocol. What is the size of address space lost when we transform a multicast IPv4 address to an Ethernet multicast address?
3) Name the advantages of optical fiber over twisted-pair and coaxial cable.
4) How does sky propagation differ from line-of-sight propagation?
1) Put the following in the correct order, from high to low: session (a), presentation (b), physical (c),
data link (d), network (e), application (f), transport (g).
a) c, d, e, g, a, b, f
b) f, a, b, g, d, e, c
c) f, b, g, a, e, d, c
d) f, b, a, g, e, d, c
2) The________ layer provides for hardware addressing.
c) Data link
3) Which component of the data link layer for IEEE specifies network protocols?
4) The network layer solves all of the following problems except_______ .
a) Broadcast problems
b) Conversion between media types
c) Hierarchy through the use of physical addresses
d) Collision problems
5) Connection multiplexing is done through the use of a_____ number.
6) Reliable connections go through a three-way handshake. Place the following in the correct order:
ACK (1), SYN, (2), SYN/ACK (3).
7) ________ describe(s) users working from home.
b) Branch office
c) Regional office
d) Corporate office
8) ________ has a physical star topology but a logical ring topology
c) Token Ring
d) FDDI and Token Ring
9) A________ uses Gigabit Ethernet as a media type
D. LAN and MAN
10) The TCP/IP protocol stack has______ layers.
11) A Class A address has_______ host bits.
12) 188.8.131.52 is a Class________ address.
d) None of the above
13) Which of the following is a valid subnet mask value?
14) You are given a Class C network with 25 bits of networking. How many subnets do you have?
15) You are given a Class B network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192. How many host
addresses are there on each subnet?
16) You are given the following addressing information: 192.168.37.192/25. What type of address is
b) Directed broadcast
17) When choosing a networking product, you should consider all of the following except__ .
a) Ease of installation and support
b) Product features and functions
c) Backplane capacity
d) Amount of memory
18) When connecting a router to a PC, use a_______ cable.
19) With ________ switching, the switch reads the destination MAC address of the frame and
immediately starts forwarding the frame.
20) Which type of traffic is sent to a group of devices?
21) What subnet mask would you use to set up a default route?
C. Depends on the type of network number
D. None of these answers
22) When choosing a dynamic routing protocol, which of the following should not be considered?
A. Metrics used
B. How routing information is shared
C. How routing information is processed
D. Number of PCs in the network
23) A routing protocol will use a(n)_______ to determine which path is the best path.
A. Administrative distance
C. Hop count
24) Which type of routing protocol uses the Shortest Path First algorithm?
A. Distance vector
B. Link state
25) What command activates the IP routing process?
D. no shutdown
26) RIP has a maximum hop count of_________ hops.
27) Which of the following is false concerning OSPF?
A. It provides a loop-free topology.
B. It is a classful protocol and allows for a hierarchical design.
C. It requires more memory and processing cycles than distance vector protocols.
D. It is complex to configure and difficult to troubleshoot.
28) The OSPF process ID is________ .
A. Locally significant and is the router ID
B. Globally significant and must be configured on every router
C. Locally significant
D. OSPF doesn’t use a process ID, but an AS number
29) An OSPF’s router ID is based on________ .
A. The lowest IP address on its loopback interface, if configured, or the lowest IP address on its
B. The highest IP address on its loopback interface, if configured, or the highest IP address on its
C. The highest IP address on its active interfaces, if configured, or the highest IP address on its
D. The lowest IP address on its active interfaces, if configured, or the lowest IP address on its
30) You are given a Class C network, 192.168.1.0/24. You need one network with 120 hosts and
three networks with 60 hosts. What subnet mask values would you use?
A. 255.255.255.128 and 255.255.255.192
D None of these
31) Which of the following is a private address?
32) Which of the following reasons might you need to use address translation?
A. You have to use public addressing because your ISP didn’t assign you enough private addresses.
B. You are using private addresses but have changed ISPs, and your new ISP won’t support these
C. You want to assign the same IP address to multiple machines so that users on the Internet see this
offered service as a single logical computer.
D. You are merging two companies that use different address spaces.