Assignment – A
Question 1. What strategic role can information technology play in business process reengineering and total quality management?
Question 2. What are various approaches of MIS development in the Organization? Explain any two approaches in detail.
Question 3. What are the benefits and limitations of the relational database model for business applications today? Why is the Object-oriented database model gaining acceptance for developing applications and managing the hypermedia databases at business websites?
Question 4. What are the business benefit and management problems of client/server networks? Discuss also in Network Computing and Peer-to-peer networks?
Question 5. How can information systems support a company’s business operations, discuss making by their managers, and give them a competitive advantage? Give examples to illustrate your answer?
Assignment – B
Question 1. What is meant by Network topology along with different network models?
Question 2. Why there is a trend toward cross-functional integrated enterprise systems in business?
Question 3. How do you think sales force automation affects salesperson productivity, marketing management, and competitive advantage?
The Case of an E-Banking Information System Mr. Joshua , Director of the ZION Bank has Customers all over world. A customer may have one or more accounts in the Bank wide spread across one or more branches. Customers open bank accounts with a specified opening balance and thereafter may either deposit funds into the account or withdraws accounts from them. The transactions involve the opening of accounts, assignments of Account Numbers, Deposit and Withdrawal transactions etc. One of the most frequent requests for specific transactions carried out in the Bank. Customers would often want to transfer funds from one account of theirs to another. The account Numbering scheme now uniquely identifies the Bank Branch to which the account belongs. Customers often travel to the bank branch to request for a new cheque book. To ensure that Customers are ensured of high level security, the E-Banking services need to provide Customers with a unique Personal Identification password which can be changed from time to time. All Services are accessible only on correct password verification. The Customer may also look for information on Interest rates on Fixed Term Deposits which often change from time to time. (a) How Mr. Joshua is going to maintain information on Bank branches and security password information on customers. (b) Draw MIS design for the above case study covering every aspect of e-Bank.
Assignment – C
1. Which of them does not support decision making?
DSS, GDSS, and ESS
2. What is primarily a stand-alone DSS that uses some type of model to perform “what-if” and other kinds of analyses?
3. This type of network is contained over a large geographic area.
1. Local area network
2. Wide area network
3. Start topology
4. None of the above
4. Starting the computer is known as the boot process.
5. The ROM chip can be modified, removed, or rewritten by the computer user.
6.The utility called located in the System Tools folder, allows you to select when and how often maintenance tasks are performed.
1. Disk Cleanup
2. Scheduled Tasks
3. Disk Defragmenter
4. System Restore
7. Which type of network connects each node to the next, forming a loop.
1. Star topology
2. Bus Topology
3. Ring Topology
4. All of the above
8. Which is the most common network topology where each node is connected to a switch.
1. Star topology
2. Ring topology
3. Bus topology
4. Local area network
5. Wide area network
9. The computer monitor’s sharpness or clarity is referred to as its ___________
10. The manages the hardware components including the CPU, memory storage, and peripheral devices.
1. Operating System
2. Device Drivers
11. The Apple Macintosh computer, known as the Mac, is very popular in the graphic design industry.
12. Which of the following is not a way DSS, GDSS, and ESS support decision making?
(a) Automate certain decision procedures
(b) Provide information about different aspects of the decision situation and the decision process
(c) Stimulate decision making by helping managers question decision procedures or explore different solution designs
(d) Generate monthly, hardcopy reports
13. Which of the following is primarily a stand-alone DSS that uses some type of model to perform “what-if” and other kinds of analyses?
(c) Data mart.
(d) Data warehouse.
14. The technology for finding hidden patterns and relationships in large databases and inferring rules from them to predict future behavior best describes:
(a) Data warehousing.
(b) Knowledge acquisition.
(c) Data mining.
(d) Data clustering.
15. Which of the following is NOT a type of information yielded from data mining?
16. Each of the following is a DSS component EXCEPT:
(b) Software system.
(c) User interface.
(d) Inference engine.
17. Models that ask “what-if” questions repeatedly to determine the impact of changes in one or more factors on outcomes best describes:
(a) Optimization analysis.
(b) Sensitivity analysis.
18. According to the textbook, National Gypsum uses its DSS application for:
(a) Identifying customer buying patterns and fraud detection.
(b) Price, advertising, and promotion selection.
(c) Defense contract analysis.
(d) Corporate planning and forecasting.
19. A system with software that can analyze and display data using digitized maps to enhance planning and decision making best describes:
(a) Geographic information system.
(b) Executive support system.
(c) Demographic analysis system.
(d) Location analysis system.
20. An interactive computer-based system to facilitate the solution to unstructured problems by a set of decision makers working together as a group best describes a(n):
(a) Group decision-support system.
(b) Decision-support system.
(c) Executive support system.
(d) Geographic information system.
21. GDSS software tools that allow individuals to simultaneously and anonymously contribute ideas on the meeting topics are called:
(a) Electronic questionnaires.
(b) Tools for voting or setting priorities.
(c) Electronic brainstorming tools.
(d) Idea organizers.
22. A GDSS can enhance group decision making by:
(a) Improving preplanning.
(b) Increasing participation.
(c) Providing documentation of meetings.
(d) Doing all of the above.
23. Each of the following is a basic GDSS element EXCEPT:
(b) Software tools.
(c) A data warehouse.
(d) A user interface.
24. Contingencies affecting the outcome of group meetings include:
(a) The design of an electronic meeting system and its technology.
(b) The nature of the group.
(c) The manner in which the problem is presented to the group.
(d) all of the above.
25. A useful tool used during the electronic meeting activity of idea generation is:
(a) Group matrix.
(b) Policy formation.
(c) Topic commenter.
(d) Personal productivity.
26. An information system at the strategic level of an organization designed to address unstructured decision making through advanced graphics and communications best described as:
(a) Decision-support system.
(b) Executive support system.
(c) Management information system.
(d) Group decision support system.
27. Business-to-Government is the sale of government resources to businesses electronically.
28. Electronic commerce is best referred to as the sale of goods electronically at the local electronic store.
29. Most large business organizations that their business model is only comprised of electronic commerce use an ERP system.
30. A is a programmable electronic device that can input, process, output, and store data.
4. Operating System
31. The nonvolatile, permanent memory that remains in the computer even when it is turned off is called:
32. The computer and equipment that connects to it are called the:
3. Control Unit
33. Which of the following do transactional e-commerce businesses provide?
1. Sale of goods and services.
2. Sale of goods only.
3. Online sale of goods.
4. Online sale of transactions.
34. Which of the following best describes a Business-to-Business?
1. Sale of goods online to a consumer.
2. Sale of goods online to many consumers.
3. Sale of goods to a business from a Brick and Mortar business.
4. Sale of goods to a business online only.
35. Electronic transfer of funds is referred to as the funds that are transfer electronically from one account to another.
36. Did mistakes in the use of management of IT play a part in the failure of Enron? Why or Why not?
37. List any two examples of business benefits of customer Relationship Management.
38. List several industries in which telecommunications would be infeasible.
39. Is “Downsizing” the same as Business Process Reengineering? (Yes/No)
40. Can a business process is reengineered without the support of information technology? Explain.