IGNOU MBA Assignments
SEMESTER – 2
MS-05: Management of Machines and Materials
Q1. “Product development and design is basically a research and development activity”. Elaborate the statement with suitable examples.
Q2. What is work sampling? Why is it called a fact-finding tool? Describe some uses of work sampling.
Q3. Practical job shops are much more complicated and may have hundreds of matching centres and thousands of jobs. Comment! Why do we resort to priority dispatching rules for sequencing jobs at each machine centre? Describe these rules.
Q4. How can FAST diagram act as a Value Engineering tool. Explain the basic methodology of FAST diagrams with the help of an example.
Q5. Write a brief note on need and role of classification, codification and standardization in the context of materials management from the viewpoint of planning, control, purchase and inventory management.
MS-06: Marketing for Managers
- (a) Define Marketing and discuss its scope as an exchange process between the firm and its customers. Illustrate with two suitable examples of your choice.
(b) Scan various secondary data sources available to you and collect relevant data historically to discuss the importance of Marketing in an emerging economy like India.
- (a) Explain the term Market Planning. Discuss the elements of Marketing Mix and their role in formulating suitable strategy in the following situations.
(i) Chain of Computer training centers
(ii) Premium Unisex Talcum powder.
(b) Define Market Segmentation and discuss its scope and the bases of segmentation that are relevant to the Indian Marketer.
- (a) Who is a Consumer? Elaborate giving suitable examples. Why it is necessary for marketers to have a sound knowledge of the end user and their behavior. Discuss.
(b) Distinguish between New Product Development with Product Life Cycle with an example.
- (a) What is pricing? What are the major objectives of pricing for a marketer? Explain with suitable example the various pricing methods available to the marketer.
(b) What make Distribution as one of the core function in a manufacturing concern? List out and discuss the major channels of distribution that you are familiar with suitable examples.
MS-07: Information Systems for Managers
- What is open source software? Where can one find Open Source software? Isn’t it hard to get reliable support for open-source software? Explain the differences between commercial software, shareware, open source software, freeware, and public domain software.
- What is change in the focus of operations management? Is this change in the focus is due to the increase of competitiveness in Business? Elaborate. Also illustrate, the capabilities expected of information systems in context of Operations Management.
- Discuss the important features of Java. Describe the Java development tools and the six functional packages included in Java standard library.
- What is the difference between a database and a data warehouse? Take a small representative database from any organization and try to convert it into a data warehouse. What are the visible advantages that you can make out?
- Define Artificial Intelligence. Why is it said that some problems can only be solved through intuitive algorithms and thus are in the AI domain? Identify some latest managerial trends and issues related to applied AI technologies.
MS-08: Quantitative Analysis for Managerial Applications
- The net incomes of a sample of large importers of antiques were organized into the following table:
|Net income ($ millions)||Number of Importers|
|2 up to 6||1|
|6 up to 10||4|
|10 up to 14||10|
|14 up to 18||3|
|18 up to 22||2|
(a) What is the table called?
(b) Based on the distribution, what is the estimate of the arithmetic mean net income?
(c) Based on the distribution, what is the estimate of the standard deviation?
- The employees of Cartwright Manufacturing are awarded efficiency ratings based on such factors as monthly output, attitude, and attendance. The distribution of the ratings follows the normal probability distribution. The mean is 400, the standard deviation 50.
(a) What is the area under the normal curve between 400 and 482? Write this area in probability notation.
(b) What is the area under the normal curve for ratings greater than 482? Write this area in probability notation.
(c) Show the facets of this problem in a chart.
- Advertisements by Star Fitness Center claim that completing its course will result in losing weight. A random sample of eight recent participants showed the following weights before and after completing the course. At the .01 significance level, can we conclude that the students lost weight?
(a) State the null hypothesis and the alternate hypothesis.
(b) What is the critical value of t?
(c) What is the computed value of t?
(d) Interpret the result. What is the p-value?
(e) What assumption needs to be made about the distribution of the differences?
- What is time series analysis? Decompose a time series into its various components and describe them.
- What is a random variable? How is it used to define a probability distribution? Make the probability distribution of “scores facing up” in a throw of two dice.